Thursday, September 20, 2012

Countdown to TM: Day 7...

CITY TO BAY morning!!!

Didn't exactly wake feeling well rested, but didn't feel too bad.
Drugs kept the runs at bay thankfully.

First group of elite runners started at 8am... I didn't start until 8:40am, by which time, most of them had already crossed the finish line!! :)
Started off fast and set and generally good pace.
Felt good and was overtaking plenty of people...
But then my body started going downhill...
The gastro had weakened me and by the seventh kilometre, I had to walk for a bit as I thought I was going to throw up... My mate, who I'd left behind at the 2km mark, caught up to me and gave me some encouragement... Got running again and found my pace... Kept consistent... Was annoyed as I knew my hopes of doing a sub-60 run were dashed, but now just getting over the finish line ASAP was the goal.

Managed to finish the race in 1:05:35.
Very happy with that!
Especially when you compare it to my 2010 race time of 1:26:37!
It's amazing what a loss of 10kg and some proper training can do! :)
2013 will be sub 60... I'll make it happen for sure!

...and only one week to Tough Mudder!!
City to Bay was always a "warm up" for TM... so hopefully I've now ironed out the kinks and I'm ready to rock!! 

No comments: