Monday, September 03, 2012

Countdown to TM: Day 20...

Flew to Mt Gambier for work early in the morn.
Flight was delayed and we almost had to turn back because of fog, but got there eventually.

I was pumped... Couldn't wait for the end of the day...
Why...? Because I had a mountain to conquer!!

Two years ago, a mate and I were in Mt Gambier for work and we decided to run around the Blue Lake. This was well before my running days and I was probably doing very little regular exercise at the time.
I felt like I was almost going to die that evening...
I have asthma but it rarely bothers me and I haven't had a full blown attack since I was a child.
But the higher altitude, thinner oxygen (well it's not that high, but I'm sure the air is thinner than flat old Adelaide!) and cool damp air was the perfect recipe for disaster for me.
After about 400-500 metres, I had to stop... I could barely breathe... And this time there's no exaggeration... I was having trouble actually drawing air into my lungs...
My poor fitness in combination with the conditions was destroying me...
From memory after recovering I walked the rest of the way.

So this was it... Back in the Mount in a much fitter form... Memories were haunting me but I'd had my asthma meds and stretched well...
And you know what...?
I smashed it!!
:D

I did three laps of the lake course (11km) in 59 minutes. Breathing was fine. Felt like I was flying on the downhill sections. The uphills were a challenge on the second and third laps but still managed to keep jogging the whole way.

This was my post on FB after the run:

Blue Lake, two years ago you humiliated me. I tried to run around you and you just sat there and laughed. My legs could barely carry me up your hills. My asthmatic lungs choked on your thin, damp wintery air.
But not this time...
This time I came prepared.
This time I made you my bitch.
This time your were just a perfect little training exercise on the lead up to my two upcoming events.
This time I thank you for being here to challenge me again.

I'm looking forward to next time...

Was one of the best feeling runs I've had in a while...
Felt smooth... Controlled...
Recovered quickly and stretched afterwards.
Maybe the change of scenery did some good...? The fresh country air?
Whatever it was, I hope I can hold onto that feeling when it's time for TM...


No comments: