Friday, September 07, 2012

Countdown to TM: Day 16...

Today's post is taking on a bit of a different angle...

And I'll make it easy on you... I'll write the short version for those that cannot be bothered with my verbose style and the long version for those that want a bit of the background and motivation to this post (and maybe a little bed time reading to help them sleep!).

SHORT VERSION:
Over the next two weeks before I take part in Tough Mudder, I want to raise a minimum of $140 (just think, only fourteen people need to donate $10... easy right!?) for Legacy as part of my acknowledgement for the way that TM has changed my life and to pay tribute to those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice during active service for our country.
Please click here if you wish to donate.
(FYI - Leave the "State" blank and put your state in the "Province" section)


LONG VERSION:
This morning, a friend asked what the charity group Legacy represented.
I explained to the best of my knowledge that they provided support to the families of Aussie soldiers who had died during active service (since checking out the Legacy website I've learned that they are "providing services to Australian families suffering financially and socially after the incapacitation or death of a spouse or parent, during or after their defence force service").

It got me thinking...
It has been "Legacy Week" this week and you may have seen the tin rattlers out and about... I'll be man enough to admit that I avoided eye contact with them last week when I was at Bunnings... When it comes to charities, I tend to donate to only to a couple, like the Red Cross or the Cancer Council, as they are close to my heart... Legacy isn't high on my list, as it has very little personal impact on me...

Unfortunately it was "good" timing last week for all Australians to be reminded what Legacy is there for, when we lost five of our diggers in a single day...
Three were murdered in a cowardly "green on blue" attack and two died in a helicopter accident.
There are now five more families out there, that will not have a father or a son or a brother or a husband or an uncle to ever see again...

Tough Mudder supports Legacy in Australia, Wounded Warrior Project in the USA and Help for Heroes in the UK. To date, over $3 million has been raised for Wounded Warrior Project alone. Here's a video with a little background if you are interested.

When you first register for a Tough Mudder event, you are sent a link to help raise money for Legacy. The added bonus is that if I raise $140, I get a $25 discount of my entry fee.
I registered in January for this event (yes a whole nine months before!) but purposefully ignored the charity side of it... The main reason why? Because I wanted Tough Mudder to be about me... Purely and selfishly that's it... I didn't want my motivation to be stemming from raising money for a charity... I wanted to be training for this event so that once I've crossed that finish line, I can proudly say "I did it!"...

But you know what...?

I have already won...

Tough Mudder has changed my life in so many ways for the better...
I am probably stronger, lighter, faster and healthier than I have ever been in my adult life at the moment... I have shaved centimetres off my sides... I have lost excess kilograms from all over my body... and I have added years to my life...
And it is really all thanks to TM... It has inspired and motivated me where other methods have failed in the past...
The goals I set originally have been surpassed... smashed even...

So now it is time for me to give thanks...
And this is the best way I can think of doing so...

I want to raise a minimum of $140 over the next two weeks... Hell not even $140 cos I've just donated $25 as proof that it is not about the discount... And if I do hit $140, then I will drop another $25 as further thanks to everyone for their support!

So may I beg of ye, for a mere $10 perhaps?
Too much? ...just a fiver would be great thanks! :)
Help make a difference to the families of those that made the ultimate sacrifice and were lost whilst defending our country...
Help cheer me on for September 23rd... be there with me in spirit if you cannot be there in person...

Please click here to go to the donation page.

And if that link doesn't work for some reason, please copy and paste this:
http://www.raceit.com/fundraising/donate.aspx?event=6814&fundraiser=r2594499

Luv ya!



No comments: