Saturday, August 25, 2012

Countdown to TM: Day 29...

Saturday... But no rest for the wicked! ;)

Snoozed the alarm for a bit (hell I'm only human...sometimes!) but got outside by 7am. Grey clouds but no wind so chance of rain was low...but was packing my zip lock bag just in case. :)

Didn't feel as energized as the day before unfortunately. Didn't sleep very well. Too much going thru my head to be able to settle properly. Legs felt heavy and lethargic but kept at it. Was determined to do at least 10km.
Pace was fast even though I didn't feel on the ball. Was maintaining sub 5min kays.

However, got to the 6km mark and just felt like I couldn't go on. For the last kilometre, legs were feeling crap and brain was telling me to give up. Tried fighting both but succumbed at 6km. Did some stretches to try and revitalize muscles. Felt nauseous and almost purged. Things weren't going too well. :(

Runkeeper's auto-pause/resume function was being a bit sensitive while I was stretching so my pace time was ruined. No matter... Once I felt semi-human again I hit the trail. Was still determined to go at least 10km so kept pushing on.

As I clocked up the kms I decided to head to the only small hill in the area and do some loops. But with a twist!
Jogged up hill, did ten push ups, jogged across then down hill. Then across, back up to the top and did nine push ups then repeated until I counted down to zero.

It was great. There was a goal to aim for, so that kept me more focused than just striding on for another kilometre.
It was also punishing. That hill is small but I've done bugger all in the way of hill training due to local terrain.
But it put me in that sweet place where you're in pain/uncomfy so all you can focus on is putting one foot in front of the other... Just one more push up... Push thru the pain... Focus on the music coming thru your headphones...
For those who know me well, they know I tend to be a little on the hyper or manic side (or hypermanic or manically hyper or maniacally hyper)... You should hear what goes on in my head at times!! (or perhaps it's better you don't) ;)
Just running comfortably means I can have a continual monologue going thru my head like a freight train... But hit that pain zone and there is silence... Peaceful painful bliss... It's not the nicest place to be, but it has its perks...

So I hit zero push ups for my last loop and headed towards home. Jogged until I hit 12km and then walked the rest of the way as a warm down. It was interesting watching the sweat drip off the peak of my cap as I walked... Felt like I had accomplished something. :)

Was shattered when I got home. Chilled for about 20 min and then stretched over breaky. Plenty of protein and about two litres of water.

Probably not much else on the cards for today. Maybe a little stretching and planning for what Day 28 is going to be... Perhaps some weights...?

No comments: