Thursday, August 30, 2012

Countdown to TM: Day 24...

Looking forward to final work PT session happening this arvo. It's a cardio class, so no running in the morn.

Did 35 push ups then planks and cobras for a couple of mins each.
A bit of stretching... I can now actually touch my toes if I curl them back! Been a while since I've been able to do that.

And then... The nightmare began...
Was reaching into the car to grab my suit jacket before going into my first appointment. I didn't realize the edge of the gutter that I was about to step on was broken. Put my foot down and slipped off the side.
Slight pain in my ankle, but the bigger concern was my back... I had twisted and jarred my body suddenly and I could already feel pain in my lower back. :(

GP recommended some anti-inflammatories and light stretches. Popped the pills but couldn't do the stretches I wanted to do in a suit. Did what I could standing up though.

I was really bummed out.
This was what I'd been dreading for the last few weeks... Within sight of doing Tough Mudder and then injuring myself... Eight months of training and then not being able to take part...
Heart breaking...

What really had me worried though was the feeling in my back... It reminded me too much of last year...

At the end of 2010, I was a passenger in a car accident. It was only quite minor, but we were hit from behind at fairly high speed and I had minor whiplash in my lower back from it.
I recovered within a couple of weeks thanks to a couple of physio sessions.
But around mid-2011, I had a flare up that was much worse than the original pain from the event.
It turned out that my muscles in my back and legs were so tight that they were spasming and pulling my body out of kilter.
About two solid months of massage, dry needling, stretches, physio and Pilates got me back to normal thankfully. My core strength had been crap and was providing minimal stability. The Pilates was great for building up my core, while the stretches, massage and dry needling loosened my muscles.

The clinic I attended was top notch.
Smart Health (just off Richmond Rd) has a range of skilled professionals under the one roof.
I highly recommend Anh Vo as a physio. Thorough and healing hands. :)

I was still planning on attending my PT session, but had accepted that I'd probably just be stretching and goading my colleagues on from the sidelines. This was the tenth and final session. I was the only member in the group who had managed to attend every single one. And here I was, about to miss the last class.

However...!
All was not lost...
As it was just a cardio session and my ankle was fine, the PT still got me to participate. There was no twisting involved and he got me to just avoid the rowing machine.
We did five min rotations on treadmill, bike and elliptical trainer. Two lots on each.
I kept upping the resistance on all the machines cos what was recommended wasn't feelin like enough of a challenge. Sweated up a storm!! :)

Did two lots of thorough stretches in evening and massage with foam roller.
Was trying to beat the back pain before it beat me!!

No comments: