Sunday, August 26, 2012

Countdown to TM: Day 28...

A bit of a rest day for targeted exercise.
Felt well rested after a solid sleep.

Some light stretches in the morn and around 33 push ups.
Did about 3.5 hours of gardening, which was the main extent of my training for the day. Had a beautiful day for it, which was refreshing after all the recent rain.

Since early March this year, when my training really started to kick up a notch, I haven't been drinking alcohol much. There has been the odd night out or a rare wine at dinner time. Used to maybe have a glass of wine every couple of evenings, sometimes the odd beer or a whisky. Being winter is perhaps part of the reason for less drinking but part of me has also not wanted to, in order to avoid the extra calories.
Often if there was beer in the fridge, I'd be more likely to drink it, just because it was there. However, there is a six pack in the fridge that's been sitting there for probably about two months and was only opened when we had guests around!

So this arvo the Adelaide Crows were playing the Melbourne Demons at the MCG. The footy season is definitely at the pointy end and the Crows are sitting at third on the ladder. :)
Caught up with a couple of mates at a pub to watch the game, but on the way there, I had resolved to do one burpee for every point the Crows scored to make up for the beer and snacks I was going to consume.
Two hours later... Two beers... Too much deep fried food... And the Crows destroyed the Demons by 69 points! Adelaide scored a whopping 150 points!!!
Oh yes... I'm looking down the barrel of 150 burpees that I plan to do before the day is through...

I start dividing them up as I'm driving home... It's 7pm... so 30 burpees per hour... Seems easy enough... I get a call... The family is starving and can I grab something quick along the way... Uh oh...
I settle on KFC... Not a great dinner option but conveniently located on the home stretch and quick enough...
As soon as I'm eating it though, I start regretting it... I've already had chips and wedges at the pub... This is more deep fried nonsense... Haven't had KFC in ages so would usually look forward to it, but today is not the day I should be eating it. :(

Didn't end up finishing it. Just felt off. Hadn't done any burpees but still felt I had plenty of time. Then daddy duties kicked in. Bathed and put my son to sleep. I fell asleep on his bedroom floor for a bit... Long, fairly active day plus a couple of beers will take it out of a lad. ;)

Look at the clock... 1030pm... Still determined to do burpees... 50 per half hour still sounds do able... I have done large amounts of burpees before... Probably the most in I've done in a single session has been when I've done some Tabata Training (http://tabatatraining.org/) but I've never counted how many I've done in the four minutes... Usually cos I'm wrecked! ;)
So I start doing lots of ten... A bit of a rest and then another ten... And again the same... I've done a total of thirty and I come to realize two things...
1. I feel like I'm going to throw up, not because of physical effort, but because I've got a belly full of oily crap.
2. I'm hyping my body up way too close to bed time and if I continue, I'm not going to be sleeping well tonight.

I'm a bit disappointed but I face the fact that the burpees aren't going to happen tonight.
But they will be done tomorrow... Come hell or high water... :)

(PS - the pics come from random Pinterest pages but unsure where from originally so can't credit where it is due)


1 comment:

Ev J said...

This post ended up being a lot more long winded than originally planned... Blogs tend to be self-indulgent and can get a touch on the melodramatic side...
However Day 28 was more about the lessons to be learned from poor eating. Yes you can have the odd temptation, but don't over do it...